As a freelance editor, I want my clients to know that their words are in professional, capable hands.
I also want them to feel comfortable asking me questions and requesting what they need, which often requires a personal connection.
In addition to being a professional writer and editor, I'm a violinist, avid yogi, and whiskey enthusiast. Scroll down to learn more about who I am and what I stand for.
- Graduated from the University of Virginia, as an Echols Scholar with Honors in English Literature and Media Studies.
- At U.Va., Jessica took courses with novelists Ann Beattie and John Casey, and served as Executive Editor of Movable Type, an Undergraduate Journal of Media Studies.
- Earned a Coursera Verified Certificate in Marketing from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Fun Fact: Jessica was part of an Elizabethan acting troupe at U.Va. called Shakespeare on the Lawn.
- Est. 2013: Jessica has worked as a freelance editor for 3+ years.
- Honed her editorial insights in New York book publishing: at Writers House, St. Martin's Press, New Leaf Literary & Media, and Fox Literary Management.
- Often praised for "going the extra mile" and "impressive levels of organizational work." (See more client testimonials here.)
- Managing Editor of Bridge Eight, a literary journal, 2015 to present.
- Fun Fact: Thanked in the Acknowledgements for award-winning author Francesca Lia Block's novel, Beyond the Pale Motel.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Jessica's own work can be found in Fast Company, Time, and Stronger than Stigma, among other publications.
- Received Honorable Mention for Glimmer Train's Very Short Fiction Award, 2013.
- Accepted into Teen Ink London Writing Program, a two-week craft intensive where she worked closely with British playwright Diane Samuels, 2007.
- Fun Fact: Jessica has practiced the violin for more than half of her life. She once performed in the Great Hall of Edinburgh Castle!